Introducing Barker Formal Wear
Royal Warrant Holder Barker have launched a new range of formal dress shirts to their Barker Formal Wear range.
The high quality dresswear includes a selection of 4 formal evening shirts along with a range of accessories including a formal waistcoat, selection of bow ties and shirt & collar studs. The range of carefully thought- out designs include:
· The Portman – a collarless white dress shirt for white tie events, where a white Marcella/pique bow tie and waistcoat are worn.
· The Westminster – a stylish dress shirt with a wing collar attached and designed for white tie events. It now has a firmer semi stiff fused Marcella front and single cuffs which can be starched, with many traditional features.
· The Blenheim Classic – a classic collared, white formal evening shirt ideal for a range of black- tie functions, featuring a soft crisp Marcella front and double Marcella cuffs with extra button-holes.
· The Blenheim Wing – a winged collar formal evening shirt
· The Clifton Marcella – a white Marcella evening backless waistcoat in pique, with white real mother of pearl dress shank buttons.
MD Matthew Barker advised, “The design of the formal shirts has changed very little since the early 20th century and these traditional features include a neck loop, trouser tab and a side pocket, to access the back of the screw top front dress studs. Improvements to the formal shirt include a stiffer front and cuffs, to give the effect of being starched.
“We are extremely proud to be offering these modern classic shirts, in very traditional styles, that have been beautifully made to the highest of old-fashioned British standards.”
The Barker Formal Wear Range, which includes detachable collars and accessories such as bows and studs, is available at many high-end gentlemen’s outfitters across the UK and is gaining an ever- growing reputation across the globe, with a presence in Sydney, Tokyo, Dublin and the Bahamas. Barker shirts, already available in the leading outfitters in London, has started to enter Europe, and plans to enter the US market in the near future.
Barker Collars were added to the brand in 2016 when Barker laundry acquired the assets of Wessex Formal Wear. It is now the only company in the world providing a manufacturing, laundry and re-starching service for detachable and dress front shirts to the global market.
The diverse and loyal Barker clientele includes the British Royal Household, staff of the Palace of Westminster, the Judiciary, Armed Forces, Eton School, many gentry and the Television, Film and Theatre industries, thanks to the flood of period dramas such as Downton Abby, Poirot, Peaky Blinders and movie blockbusters such as Sherlock Holmes and Titanic.
Barker is steeped in history, with a heritage dating back to 1861 and a family involvement that spans 8 decades and 3 generations.
Barker is a high-quality fabric care and manufacturing business specialising in the improvement of established markets, from laundry to shirt making. Fully traceable, ethically grown and woven cotton of the highest quality is used to manufacture its bed linen range whilst also being the global leader in the supply of starched dress wear to the legal profession and the film, TV and theatre industries. Their work can be seen in Downton Abbey, Peaky Blinders and Mr Selfridge, to name just a few. Barker are now the largest domestic laundry in the UK and a leading specialists Dry Cleaner, with a heritage dating back to 1861.
In 2021 Barker won the ‘Responsible Business’ Awards Category in the LADA’s – the Laundry, dry cleaning and textile care industry awards, run by the publication, ‘Laundry & Cleaning Today’.